Posted on Leave a comment

Sweat It Out – Why You Shouldn’t Be Using Antiperspirant

If you’re like the majority of the population, you have most likely bought into the idea that you shouldn’t be sweating. Almost all the big name brands highly market the no sweat features of their antiperspirant/deodorant products. Well, guess what? Our bodies NEED to sweat! Even better, guess what is in an antiperspirant to prevent you from sweating? Most of you probably already know, if not, it’s aluminum! This metal is applied to your sensitive underarm skin and clogs your sweat glands preventing perspiration.

So, if you’re not sweating it out, where’s it going? And if your applying aluminum daily, how much is getting built up in your lymph nodes? Also, have you ever noticed how close your mammary glands and breast tissue are to your underarms? There are studies showing aluminum being linked to breast cancer. If you think of where your lymph nodes are located, it’s pretty easy to believe.

Lymph NodesSymptoms

About 4 years ago, I had a major reaction to a big name brand antiperspirant that I had been using for years with no problems. I guess my body had just had enough. I broke out in a horrible, itchy, red, underarm rash that even bled a little. This was in the middle of summer and I couldn’t shave or apply any product under my arms. It took a good two or three weeks to completely detox from the product and it didn’t smell that great. All the toxins that had built up over the years of me trying to prevent my body from sweating was coming out and it was horrible. I did a lot of research in this time, and have since paid way more attention to my pit health.

Basically, as long as you are well hydrated, eating a healthy diet, and detoxing regularly, your sweat shouldn’t have a foul odor to it. Mostly musky and sometimes smelling of a food you ate too much of, but nothing horrible. I have been antiperspirant free and mostly deodorant free since my reaction 4 years ago. I rarely put anything on my underarms, and if I do, it’s an all natural deodorant.

If you haven’t considered switching to a more natural alternative, you should. The easiest way to go through the transition period is to detox your armpits yourself. Now, how are you going to do that? With an at home detox mask for your underarms.

If you want to make it yourself, check the recipe below or head on over to shop essentials and purchase The Black Clay Mask.

Supplies needed:

1tbsp bentonite clay (like this one)

1/2tbsp AC (Activated Charcoal)

1tbsp ACV (apple cider vinegar), water, or an even mixture of both

In a small glass bowl, mix the ingredients together using a wooden or plastic spoon, metal will interfere with the properties of the bentonite clay so avoid mixing or touching with any type of metal!

Mix well, it should come out to a paste consistency, if it’s dry, you can add a little bit of water to achieve the desired texture.

One it’s ready, spread on your armpits and leave for 5-15 minutes. I suggest 5 minutes if this is your first detox. You shouldn’t feel anything when it’s applied to your skin. If you start to feel burning or itching, wash off immediately.

Pit Applied

When done, wipe off with a wet cloth or rinse in the shower. Drink plenty of water to help with the detox process.

While you should begin to notice results after the first detox, continue use 2-3 times a week until your armpits no longer stink. Once fully detoxed and switched to a natural product, I recommend doing a detox mask once month or every other month.

This can also be applied to your face to deep clean your pores! Please note that ACV is very acidic, so if you have sensitive skin, either avoid it all together and mix with water or dilute it! Once in a while if I only use ACV without diluting, my face will turn red for a couple hours but my skin feels great afterwards! If you try this mask on your face or armpits, let me know what you think!



Posted on Leave a comment

Fresh Start, New Year, Big Changes

Hey everyone, long time no talk, right? If you hadn’t noticed, I’d taken a break from MoonstoneMom for about 5 months, but I’m back! I feel like I owe you all an explanation, or it would at least make me feel better to provide one.

I was so excited to start this page, maybe I jumped in too soon, or the timing just wasn’t right but it started to become something that wasn’t…… I tried getting ideas from other ‘mom blogs’ and it felt ok but just didn’t flow from my heart. Then when we moved into our tiny home, I kind of felt pressured that this should turn into a tiny home blog. That it HAD to turn into a tiny home blog.


Y’all, our house isn’t like the fancy tiny homes on TV, we’re just living our basic, crazy life but in smaller square footage. It gets messy, there’s laundry piled up all over the couch as we speak, Bradley is sitting in a Mac and Cheese mess, and after 6 months of living here, Brynlee’s room still hasn’t been organized or found a good set up. We’re just living and enjoying our days together as a family. I don’t have anything interesting to tell you about a tiny house except we love it! It’s just normal to us, I don’t have tiny house content to share on a daily basis. So, I felt discouraged, I wasn’t getting the joy I hoped for, and really just felt like I failed and needed to step back for a while. I knew I wasn’t done with this journey yet, I just needed time for growth and envisioning what I really want.


“The comeback is always stronger than the setback!” I’m not sure who said that, I could Google it, but I don’t feel like it. The point is, it’s true! I knew I wanted to start this year off chasing my dreams and that’s what I’m doing.

You’ve probably noticed a change in the theme of my posts. Sorry y’all, but life is too short to be anything but true to yourself. This year I’m taking back what is mine and writing and posting from my heart and soul. Everything is going to be raw and real, and you know what? Being your true self with no fear of judgement comes with so much ease! I’m connecting with new people, enjoying where life is at and the people I’m around.


There were so many hopes and dreams for MoonstoneMom at the beginning, and I’m not going to hold myself back anymore out of fear! January is going to set the pace for the months ahead. I’ve poured so much energy in the past to selling other companies products and I’m ready to build my own brand. The possibilities are endless and I have so many ideas I can’t wait to share with you all. I just want to say thank you to those who have continued to follow along on this journey. I’m so excited to take you on this new adventure with me!

🖤🖤🖤 Darci Thompson – MoonstoneMom 🌙

Posted on Leave a comment

Our First Week Living Tiny

I’m a little late on this post, it’s been 10 days since we moved into our tiny home. For those of you that don’t know, we moved out of our 3 bedroom, 1600sqft house and into a cozy, 400sqft, tiny home. I thought it would take a while to get use to, but adjusting has been really easy. The amount of space is perfect for us, we just need to get around to purchasing a few more storage and organizing things (shelves, cubbies, etc.).

Our closet is a mess and in desperate need of storage solutions and organization. Slowly but surely. Oh, and I’m way behind on laundry, anyone want to come wash clothes for me?

We moved from Ada, OK, population 17,300, to the outskirts of Checotah, population 3,200. I cannot express how much I love small towns and living in the country. We are in a little community just off I-40 on Lake Eufaula. There’s barely any traffic on our gravel road, I went for a 30 minute walk this morning at 6:30am and not one car passed me by. Since we are by the lake, a lot of the property owners are seasonal or only come up on the weekends, but there is a fair share of full timers as well. Brynlee is so happy to be outside more and I don’t have to worry about her playing by a busy street. Our neighbors are the girls’ godparents/Aunts so Brynlee is always walking over to see what they are up to. She gets a much better sense of freedom out here as she roams the 3 lots of property and I love watching her be outside using her imagination, rather than watching TV or playing with toys inside all day.

Keeping the house clean is super easy and can be done quickly, which I am so happy about. We don’t have a dishwasher so that means I am doing dishes all day to keep the sink clear and have dishes clean for the next meal. We have to utilize a lot of above cabinet, and top of refrigerator storage space. Being only 5’4″, I am constantly climbing up on stools to access things in the kitchen. Tidying up is an all day task, because as quick as it is to clean, its even quicker to get messy, so I’m learning to clean on the go. We are still unpacking and arranging things, but I can already tell there will be enough room for everything we need while still leaving open living space.

I LOVE our tiny kitchen. We still need to put up backsplash and wall storage under the cupboards, and cooking took a couple days getting use to but otherwise it’s perfect!

The one thing that is going to be a constant adjustment is the noise factor. Freddie wakes up very early to commute two hours to work. I don’t mind being woken up, I usually get up when he leaves to have time for myself anyway. Then I’m stuck for several hours trying to get my workout in, things straightened up for the day, and keep myself busy while still staying quiet so I don’t wake the girls. It’s not that difficult but it does take some time getting use to. Good thing I love quiet mornings, and don’t mind spending a lot of that time outside. During Bradley’s naps, Brynlee has had to learn to keep quiet. If it’s not too hot I try to take her outside to play. For the most part it has gone pretty well and everyone is getting enough sleep. Our video baby monitor has been amazing!!

Loft life has been great! It stays pretty dark up there so we all sleep really well. It’s almost 9am and Bradley is still sleep while Bryn is awake watching her morning cartoons. Going up and down the ladder with Bradley has been working out really well, too. When she starts crawling around, we will really have to make sure she knows the loft rules or I won’t be able to leave her up there alone to sleep in the mornings. We will cross that bridge when we get to it and I know everything will work out.

Our fold up ladder is awesome! Also, you can see we used a dresser for the TV console so we have more clothes storage. Multipurpose furniture is key!

Going tiny has been one of the best decisions we’ve made (so far). While this tiny home is temporary, for 5-10 years, we do plan on building another tiny home in the future. With a custom layout, we think a tiny home is perfect for families. Our next one will be under 600sqft, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, and a large loft. We know that when the girls reach their teens they will want their privacy, so the next layout will take that into consideration. We will also need a home that we can grow old in where we won’t have to climb a ladder everyday, even though it’s no problem right now.

It’s safe to say we will be happy with our tiny living journey and this is definitely a life we are happy with living!

Make sure to follow our story on Facebook or Instagram @MoonstoneMom

Posted on Leave a comment

Losing Yourself in Motherhood

Ahhh, motherhood. The most wonderfully messy, beautifully challenging, rewarding sacrifices I will ever know. I’m sure you know what I mean. When your little monsters are driving you bat sh!t crazy but you wouldn’t want to spend one day without them……although a few hours alone would probably be good for your sanity.

It sure is a wild, joyous ride.

I’ve been a mom for over 4 years now. When our oldest daughter, Brynlee, was born, I was filled with a happiness and love I never knew was possible. Maternity leave was great and I enjoyed everyday home with my little family. When it was time to go back to work, at that time as a full time pharmacy technician, I was sad to leave my baby but also happy to have the normalcy of my life back. That time for me, that time to socialize with adults and do something besides look at a beautiful baby face all day and constantly be needed. Don’t get me wrong, I missed that kid every second, but it was nice to get away and be more than just mom.

When Brynlee turned one, I was offered a job as an office manager for my step dad’s cell tower company so I could work from home and be with Brynlee instead of keeping her in daycare. In all honesty, I didn’t really want to accept that offer. I loved my job but I love my daughter more and I did miss her during the day so I figured I’d give it a shot. I mean, who would turn down that opportunity?

That first year, the ‘vacation phase’ as I call it, was great. I started staying home in March, my husband is a teacher so summer vacation started in May. All of us got to be home together. We went on our first family trip to California where we were gone for a month. Everything was perfect…. Then August rolled around, and school started again. I was still riding my high from summer time as a family but things slowly started changing….in my mind at least. By the new year I was in full blown depression mode.

I’ve never talked to anyone about this. Never told my husband or family. No one knew….I was probably a little more moody and nagging but I did my best to hold myself together. I missed my job outside the house. And I felt guilty for that. I missed hanging out with other adults. I realized I really had no idea how to be an office manager and when I don’t accel at something, I have no motivation to do it. My mental state was somewhere I didn’t like it to be. I had a job that allowed me to stay home with my beautiful daughter everyday. Others pray for what I had, yet I wasn’t happy. And I felt so guilty for that. I lost who I was. I didn’t even remember the person that I was before being a mom. Yet I wanted to be the best one I could for my little girl.

This feeling lasted for about a year. I’m not sure what made me snap out if this, but I did. It didn’t happen overnight but slowly and surely I started changing my way of thinking. I knew I needed to take care of my mental health. So I started taking care of me. I started waking up earlier so I could have time alone. I would spend that time reading, journaling, and doing a small workout. When Brynlee woke up, I was ready to give her my all and be there for her. As she was getting older, she was becoming more independent and wanting time to play on her own. She wasn’t needing all my attention and energy. I was getting mental breaks throughout the day.

I’m the type of person who really gets trapped in my own head. Falling down a rabbit hole of thoughts until I come out the other side. And that’s just what I did. I changed my way of thinking and my outlook on life. I experienced growth as a human being. I found me again and I now know that the best thing for my family is to take care of myself.

Now, our 2nd daughter, Bradley, was born 2 months ago. It feels like I just gained my sense of freedom back with Brynlee and now it’s time to do this all over again. I’m stronger this time. I can do this. I know I need to take care of myself. I know I can’t pour from an empty glass. I felt a small bit of guilt and sadness a couple times these first 2 months, knowing my time is once again cut into smaller slices. But I know this won’t last long and I refuse to fall backwards with my mental health and my personal journey of growth.

That’s why during my last 6 months of pregnancy, I made a plan and decision to quit my job and make some changes with our family life. But that story hasn’t happened yet 😉

I find it absolutely incredible what our minds are capable of. The mind is the strongest muscle in the human body, and just like any other muscle, it needs exercise and care. If at any time, you feel damaged, broken, or mentally ill, it’s nothing to be hidden, ashamed, or embarrassed of. If any other part of your body isn’t feeling well or working properly, you seek help. Why wouldn’t you do the same for your mental state? Baby blues and postpartum depression is real. I’m not sure if that’s what I had or if there’s a label for how I felt. I just know it wasn’t what I wanted and it didn’t feel right. I was able to think myself out of it, but seek help if you need to. Most of all, be kind to others, you never know the journey they are on or the struggles they are enduring.

Thanks for stopping by and following my journey at MoonstoneMom.

Make sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram @MoonstoneMom

Posted on Leave a comment

Delivery Room Experience With Our 4 Year Old

When our first daughter, Brynlee, was born 4 years ago, a series of devastating events started to happen. In the last 4 years, our sweet girl has experienced the death of 5 grandparents. I never sheltered her from this circle of life and did my best to explain what had happened in an age appropriate way.

From the moment we found out we were expecting another baby, I knew I wanted her in the delivery room. She had witnessed the ending of so many lives, and I wanted her to be there for the magical beginning of her little sister’s. I also was not going to begin her journey as a big sister by excluding her.

She was insistent on being in the room, and for months I would ask her if she was sure, and she continued to tell me yes. We watched birth videos, I told her what to expect, that it might be scary, mommy would be in a lot of pain, but no matter what, mommy and her sister would be well taken care of, even if an emergency happened.

She was ready and as informed as she could be. Of course, we didn’t get the most positive reactions from everyone when we said she would be in the delivery room. Our hospital is nationally certified baby friendly, so the nurses and midwives were very supportive. And I knew right away I wanted her Aunts/godparents there for their incredible support as well.

My induction date was set for May 7th. I had to be at the hospital for check in at midnight that morning. Brynlee’s Aunts came down to stay the night while my husband and I left for the hospital. At 5am they gave me Cytotec to get me dilated before starting Pitocin. By 7:30am my contractions were 3 minutes apart, I was dilated to a 4, and Pitocin wasn’t going to be needed. My sister-in-laws got Brynlee to the hospital just in time for us to get transferred to the delivery room to wait through labor.

I was determined to not have an epidural with this delivery, as I had a bad experience with it during birth with Brynlee. Four or five hours later, contractions we’re getting intense and only a minute apart. I was exhausted from lack of sleep and no recovery time between contractions. I had no idea how I was going to find the energy to push out this baby. At almost 9cm dilated, I couldn’t take it anymore and got the epidural. The same thing that happened with my first delivery, happened with this one. The epidural didn’t completely work on my right side so I could still feel pain, but it was a huge relief compared to before, so I dealt with it. After about 30 minutes to an hour the midwife came in and it was around 12:30pm she told me it was time to push!

Brynlee had been sitting on the couch the whole time being so good and patient. She would come over to the bedside at times and hold my hand and tell me it was going to be okay. Now it was finally time for her to witness the birth of her little sister!

She sat back and watched as I had about 8 people around me coaching and supporting me through delivery. It was the best birth experience I could ask for. I wish I could’ve watched Brynlee’s reaction the whole time. She was so quiet but I never forgot she was there. When they told me baby’s heart rate was dropping and I needed to push her out ASAP, I wonder if she was worried or knew what was going on. After about 20 minutes of pushing, our Bradley Jane was born at 12:50pm! Her umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck which was what caused her heart rate to drop, but with one swift movement the midwife had it unwrapped and placed her on my chest. She was perfect and everything was okay. Next thing I know, Brynlee is at my side, with tears of joy in her eyes admiring her little sister.

I was so happy she was there to experience the growth of her family and be one of the first to see her new sister. She did better than I could’ve ever imagined. She stayed out of the way, behaved well, checked on me, and fell in love with Bradley Jane at first site.

Most of us know the joys of after delivery. The birthing of the placenta, the still pregnant looking belly, all the bleeding, etc., and she was a trooper through it all. When I asked her what she thought of being in the room and seeing her sister born, she told me she loved it and she was so happy she had tears in her eyes. Then she also told me she saw a wiener hanging out of me after I had Bradley…..I had to explain that was the umbilical cord 😂 then later in our hospital room she asked if there was another person in my stomach……no, that’s just my uterus that hasn’t shrunk yet. She’s also got quite the obsession with the breast pump the hospital gave me and likes to try it out on herself 🤷‍♀️

Brynlee adapted to being a big sister so quickly. She has been overly affectionate to me and her sister for the past 6 weeks, she is helpful and caring, and I couldn’t be happier with how things have gone. I’m hoping the excitement will die down a little so she’s not kissing and hugging all over Bradley while she’s sleeping, but either way, I can’t complain that she loves her so much.

Our adventure as a family of four is just beginning, it’s off to a wonderful start and I’m looking forward to our journey ahead!


Thanks for reading,

Darci Thompson – MoontstoneMom